Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rest In Peace, Aunt Joyce




My dad's oldest sister passed away in April. When I was home in August, one of the main reasons I was there was to join my family in spreading Joyce's ashes. Part of Joyce's last request was that the whole family be together on her birthday - August 21 - to spread her ashes at the beach and to have a little family reunion. We went down to Long Beach, WA on Friday, which was her actual birthday and spent the night. Friday night was an enjoyable evening - he cooked out, roasted marshmellows for smores, and in true Stewart fashion - we DRANK - to Joyce's memory, of course.




On Saturday morning we got on a boat in Ilwaco, WA and went out to the mouth of the Columbia River to spread her ashes. It was a very somber trip for us all. For me, her death finally became real because I had not been able to come home for her funeral or the Rotary Park dedication for her in June. I know it was hard for everyone who was out on that boat and I am so glad I was able to be there with them. Although I sometimes wonder if she knew, I hope Joyce realizes how much I loved her. I am sad I didn't get to say goodbye to her, but know she understood.




No comments: