Thursday, November 12, 2009

MOPS Day

Today was a MOPS morning for us. It was a busy one too. It was my tables turn to provide the food, so I had three dishes to take in. We also collected the food for our canned for drive. (I did well - I took 32 items for the drive.) We had to bring our favorite picture as well as our Operation Christmas Child shoe box donation - which I walked off and left at home.

Again, I was really pleased with the report I got from Addison's "teacher." They went on and on about how good she is. One of the ladies in the room went as far as saying that Addie is "the sweetest thing - I may just have to steal her." Ok, so that sounds creepy, but she is a little old lady who volunteers her time at the church, so it didn't bother me at all. But it is always nice to hear from an outside source, what you know to be true - that your baby is AWESOME!

It was a good meeting. Today we had a guest speaker - a local photographer. (His wife is in our MOPS group.) He talked about some of the basics of photography and how to take great shots of our little ones. I found it really ironic that today of all days is the day he came to speak to our group. I have been thinking a lot lately as to pursuing a "career" in photography - even going so far as talking to schools. (Being a military wife, getting another degree in photography isn't really an option as only two schools nationwide offer online photography degrees.) After he was done speaking, I approached him when the meeting was over. I wanted to find out where to start, what he suggested, etc. He graciously gave me a lot of helpful hints and was kind enough to answer all my questions.

Needless to say, I don't know if photography is something that I will pursue. I have a few other things that I would like to do as well - event coordinating or interior design. But I feel like those two career options are things I need to attempt once Chuck is out of the Air Force as those are both client based businesses. While photography is too, I feel like photography is something that would be easier to start over with every time we move. The one advantage I have is that whenever we move somewhere, I automatically have a social network because of the squadron. That would help me get myself up and running each and every place we move to. Because what military family - or any family for that matter - doesn't want pictures taken of their kids, families, events, etc? And don't those pictures turn out better when the "subjects" are comfortable with their surrondings and the person taking the pictures? Definitely!

I am feeling pretty positive about what I learned today however and think that photography may be something feasible for me. I am defintely getting to the point where I need to do something outside of the house for myself. I love being home with Addie, but I think for my sanity and my child's, I need to get out and be creative. I am also thinking about taking over one of the "jobs" in our MOPS group. One of our members is moving and obviously has to give up her position. It doesn't seem like there is too much work involved - only about three hours a week - so I am considering it. I will let you all know what I decide on that.

Addison is napping now. I am hoping it will be a long one - it should be since she was up early and busy from the get-go - but I am not going to hold my breath. Only other thing is store for the day is a trip to the store to get diapers. (Have I mentioned recently, how over diapers I am? Is it too soon to start the dredded potty training?) Weather is good so I am hoping to get Addie outside to play but since it gets dark so early now, I am not sure if that will work out or not.

It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is two weeks away all ready. Before you know it, Christmas will be here and gone. I hope you all have wonderful plans lined up for the holidays...

No comments: