Friday, August 19, 2011

Waterpark season ends

Panama City Beach has a regular waterpark - it's crowded and over priced. We don't go there.

However, they also have an "aquatic" center at one of the city parks. This aquatic center not only has an Olympic sized (outdoor) swimming pool, but also a great kids activity area that is GREAT for little ones. It has smaller slides, water guns, water falls, etc. and the water only gets to be about two feet. One of the greatest things about this little kiddie waterpark is that even if I am not with Addison, I can see her whereever she is. So I don't necessarily need to be in the water with her at all times - but with the heat, I am usually in the water not far from where she is.

Unfortunatley, this waterpark is only open a short period of time during the summer. It stays open longer on the weekends - which are chaotic, but is only open during the week while school is out here. (About mid-May through mid-August.) Bay County Schools start again this coming Monday, August 22nd so needless to say, this is the last week that the waterpark will be open weekdays. We are so going to miss going out there - we were trying to go at least once a week all summer. It is inexpensive and a great way for Addie to be outside and not have a heatstroke here. WE LOVE IT!!!!

Yesterday we headed out there for our last trip of the summer. We got there as it opened which is always the best time to get there. We met some friends out there so it was even more fun for us. Addie played for about an hour and half in the water before needing a break - a cookie and some water. And of course, and reapplication of sunblock. Sadly, this is where our fun ended...

As we were heading back to the water, Addie took off running. A huge NO NO there! I made her stop and walk but as she was just about to enter the water another little boy about her age came running and smacked right into her, knocking her down. She hit the pavement and immediatly started crying - which is unusual for her. (She isn't one to cry or fuss when she gets hurt.) I picked her up and went back to the table and noticed she was bleeding. Since I had nothing to clean her up with, I went to the first aid room where they cleaned up her scratches and put a band aid on her. And she really was fine - a couple a scrapes and a little blood. Nothing big considering the way she was carrying on. We went back to our table where she continued to howl and cry until I finally put her on my lap and rocked her a little. I thought she would stop and calm down and would want to get back out there and play, especially when her friend Hailey asked her to go back out in the water. But she never did - she just cried and cried "I want to go home!" (Also very unusual for her - she is never one to leave a "party" early.) After ten or fifteen minutes of this, I decided I would take her home. So we packed up and headed home - with an icecream cone stop on the way home. Miraculously, the icecream made her all better.

This story really isn't that blog-worthy except for this point. When the little boy knocked her down, he did not apologize, he just got up and ran to his mom. She happened to be about five feet away. Here is the kicker! I am not naieve enough to think my kid is never going to get hurt or knocked down. Nor do I automatically expect a three year old to know that an apology is expected. However, this kid's mother was five feet away and saw the whole thing. Not once did she make an attempt to apologize or ask if Addie was ok. This makes me angry! What ever happened to common curtosy? Is it really acceptable to let your child run over another kid like a train and not even ask if the other child is ok? Maybe I am expecting too much from people, but seriously! I would have been so embarrassed if the situation had been reversed and I certainly would have made sure the other kid was ok. And I would have apologized for Addison - she certainly doesn't understand the concept of apologizing, even though this is something we are working on. But adults understand the concept and should use it a little more often!!!! No wonder this country is such a freaking mess. No one cares about anyone else.

No comments: