Tuesday, August 16, 2011

34 Week Check

Another doctor appointment, another ultrasound. Our day today. Over all, I felt it was a pretty standard appointment. He continues to grow like a horse - 6 lbs, 6 oz. today - up 12 oz. from his appointment two weeks ago. (FYI, Addison was 6 lbs, 7 oz when she was born.) His kidneys are bigger than they were at the end of June, but I am not to worried about it since he is bigger as well. My fluid levels were 'normal' but they were on the low side of normal. Also not something that surprises me since Addison was induced for this very problem. My weight has only gone up one pound in two weeks. It is still ugly, but at least we are at the point where I will only gain a little at a time now.

The ultrasound was pretty cool today. We could see that his eyes were open and that he was looking around. That was amazing. The tech could also tell that he has hair on his head. (This would explain the heartburn, if you believe that old wives tale.) We also got to see his ears, and the tech was able to tell that he peed while we were watching him. The tech also turned on the 3d ultrasound and while we couldn't see his whole face - he had his eyes covered by his arm/hand - we got to see his little nose, mouth and chin.

After our appointment, we went over to the hospital and took a tour of the maternity ward. I have to be honest, being there and seeing so many little babies around, made this whole thing very real. And made me really want to have this little guy join us. Overall, I liked the hospital and we relieved to see that ALL rooms - labor/delivery and recovery rooms are all individual. We were lucky at Langley to get our own room, but there was the chance we would have had to share a room. Not that I have a lot of experience with maternity wards, but it seemed pretty standard to me.

At this point - 34 weeks in - I would be very surprised to go to 40 weeks. I just have the feeling that we are a lot closer to being done than we think we are. And that is ok with me. It is hot and miserable and I am uncomfortable. And anxious. And excited!!!!! Can't wait to have a sweet little baby to love on.

No comments: