Sunday, May 29, 2011

43rd FS Easter Egg Hunt






The squadron held it's annual Easter Egg hunt the day before Easter this year. We didn't have any plans for Easter so this was our "celebration" this year. And seriously! What a great time Addison had!

A couple in our squadron live in a flying community. By this I mean that all of the people who live in this community have built their homes around a grass air strip and they all have personal (small) airplanes. It is really a unique living situation - and while it isn't our cup of tea, it is a really cool neighborhood.

The kids were encouraged to bring swim suits to play in the pool and the adults - as usual - sat around and visited while waiting for the time for the big hunt. This couple has a large field right next to their house and the eggs were "hidden" there. I use the term hidden lightly as most of the kids involved were small like Addie. However the coolest thing about this egg hunt was that the couple whose house it was at climbed into their open top airplane and took off. They did several passes over the field throwing candy from the plane. The kids loved it, and I will admit, it was the coolest Easter Egg hunt I had ever been too. They were exactly on target so when they had landed all the kids took off through the neighborhood looking for candy that had missed the mark. Addison's basket was FULL - yummy for mom and dad!

Addison also got her first ride in a cessna that day. Boone was generous enough to take anyone up flying who was interested. This didn't include me, but daddy is more than happy to encourage this - hopefully someday - hobby of hers so he took her up. I was one nervous mama! I don't like to fly and I certainly don't like little airplanes. And both my loves were up in a tiny little airplane? Yes, I was nervous but I am trying to not let me nervousness about certain things have an impact on Addie. I want her to love or not love things based on her interests - not mine. So I let them go without an argument. She certainly did look cute in her headset and she was so excited. And I will never forget the way she came running across the road when they landed a few minutes later. She was so excited and happy and yelling "Mommy, mommy! I missed you, but that was so much fun!" How can I argue with that?

A big thank you goes out to Michelle and Boone Cruson. Thank you so much for opening your home to a bunch of crazy kids and thank you so much for making it such a memorable day for not only Addison, but myself as well!

No comments: