Tuesday, September 21, 2010

David

David. He was someone Charlie met when he returned to the Air Force Academy after being at the Naval Academy for a semester his junior year. David was the first person I met in Colorado Springs - the first friend of Charlie's that I met. He helped us move into our apartment when Charlie moved me to the Springs over spring break in March of 2001. We spent a lot of time with David the first few months I lived in the Springs. I took him to a doctor's appointment after he had surgery, he would randomly come over for dinner with us and hang out, his date for Ring Dance stayed with me and we went to Vail with them for the weekend, and than when things didn't work out with her the way he hoped, he called me a lot for girl advice. David came to Kelso after graduation to be an usher in our wedding - which to this day, I don't know if anyone Charlie's Academy friends that came to the wedding know how much that meant to both of us.

David was the quiet friend. The one who everyone teased because he could take it so well, but hardly ever dished it back. In fact, Charlie teases him on our wedding video while introducing our wedding party and he is just laughing and shrugging his shoulders. One of my favorite memories of Dave is the day he helped us move into our apartment in the Springs. We hadn't even known each other an hour and he teased me mercilessly about the amount of boxes that were marked "clothes." I think it was one of the only times I heard him tease anyone.

We lost touch with David after the wedding - all the guys scattered and were off getting their Air Force careers started - pilot training and what not. But we always seemed to know where David was - even though we didn't keep in contact with him. We knew that David was doing exactly what he said he wanted to do the whole time at the Academy - he was flying helicopters.

About a week after I got home to Kelso, Charlie called me and told me that David had died. At the time, I had felt like someone had kicked me in the chest. I couldn't believe it!!! And I was so incredibly sad. We didn't know much about the accident at the time other than he had been piloting a helicopter in Afghanistan that had been shot down. Initially he survived, but died from his injuried a few weeks later. (Fortunatly, he had been flown to DC and his family was able to be with him at the time of his passing.)

Yesterday in the mail we recieved Checkpoints - The Air Force Academy's Alumni magazine. David's obit was in the "gone but not forgotten" section. And even though I knew it would be there, I was still not prepared for it. In fact, I couldn't even read it right away. I had to push it aside and read it later. I won't go into details - frankly, because I am not sure I would be able to finish this blog without breaking down in tears again. But what I will say is that after reading it, I had a new found respect for Dave. I am so proud and honored to have known him. His actions on that day earned him a purple heart that day, along with a very accomplished service record. And even though I still feel sad that we will never see David again and that we had lost touch with him over the years, I am so greatful to David for his service and his sacrifice. Rest in Peace, Dave! You will be missed!

No comments: